Composition Melphalan (2mg)
Shipping class Cold
Primary Use Multiple myeloma
cautionPotentially unsafe with Lactation
Medicine Overview of Alkeran Tablet
Uses of Alkeran Tablet
Alkeran 2mg Tablet is used in the treatment of multiple myeloma.
Alkeran Tablet side effects
Nausea, Vomiting, Stomatitis (Inflammation of the mouth), Anemia (low number of red blood cells), Hair loss, Low blood platelets, Diarrhoea, Decreased white blood cell count.
How to use Alkeran Tablet
Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it. Alkeran 2mg Tablet is to be taken empty stomach.
How Alkeran Tablet works
Alkeran 2mg Tablet is an anti-cancer medication. It works by damaging the genetic material (DNA) of the cancer cells and stops their growth and multiplication.
In Depth Information on Alkeran Tablet
Expert advice for Alkeran Tablet
- Melphalan to be taken on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. Drink at least two to three quarts of fluid every 24 hours, unless you are instructed otherwise.
- You may be at risk of infection so try to avoid contact with people with cold, fever or any other signs of infection.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight. Use sunscreen lotion and protective clothing.
- You may be monitored periodically for complete blood counts (at least one determination prior to each treatment course) during the course of treatment.
- Melphalan may increase the risk that you will develop other cancers. Talk with your doctor about the risks of taking melphalan.
- Do not take live vaccines if you are an immunocompromised patient.
- Use of melphalan is not recommended in children.
- Use with melphalan extreme caution if your bone marrow reserve have been compromised by prior irradiation or chemotherapy, or if your marrow function is recovering from previous cytotoxic therapy.
- Use appropriate contraceptive methods to avoid pregnancy during melphalan treatment.
Alkeran Tablet related warnings
Special precautions for Alkeran Tablet
Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Please consult your doctor.
WEIGH RISKS VS BENEFITS
Alkeran 2mg Tablet is unsafe to use during pregnancy. There is positive evidence of human fetal risk, but the benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk, for example in life-threatening situations. Please consult your doctor.
Alkeran 2mg Tablet is unsafe to use during lactation. Data suggests that the drug may cause toxicity to the baby, or the mother is suffering from a condition in which breastfeeding is not advisable.
It is not known whether Alkeran 2mg Tablet alters the ability to drive. Do not drive if you experience any symptoms that affect your ability to concentrate and react.
Alkeran 2mg Tablet should be used with caution in patients with kidney disease. Dose adjustment of Alkeran 2mg Tablet may be needed. Please consult your doctor.
There is limited information available on the use of Alkeran 2mg Tablet in patients with liver disease. Please consult your doctor.
What if you miss a dose of Alkeran Tablet?
If you miss a dose of Alkeran 2mg Tablet, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double the dose.